Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Edward Gorey is a god...or at least a demigod



I truly love anything macabre, but if there is a twisted sense of humor to go along with it, it's gold, baby, solid gold! That's where Edward Gorey comes in. Most people are familiar with his PBS Mystery! series intro - the black and white line drawings of creepy looking people and places, always with something unexpected in them. For more on his PBS work, see here: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/mystery/gorey.html


All of his work is captivating and great fun, but I would have to say my favorite is the Gashlycrumb Tinies. With truly wicked humor, Gorey disposes of an entire alphabet of children in very creative ways. The one that always makes me laugh out loud is Neville, who died of ennui (picture above). Susan, who perished of fits, is a close second. Check them all out here: http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Stage/7535/gorey.html

1 comment:

  1. I love Edward Gorey! I collect his books and no one else in my family can understand it.

    Check out my entries on Hundertwasser's house. A fantasy of mosaic.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Apture