Monday, February 23, 2009

A Sad Farewell



Last night's snowfall brought down a large branch of a beloved tree in the front yard. We had close to 2 feet of snow, which is not so unusual, but it was very wet and heavy. This tree is a pink flowered honeylocust (Robinia psuedoacacia 'Purple Rain') which I planted about 6 years ago or so. The branch could be cut off and the tree saved if it weren't for the huge split in the main trunk that also occurred. Unfortunately, the reason it split is because of a significant insect infestation. There are tunnels all through the branch and trunk. I love honeylocust trees for the lacy foliage and fabulous fragrance when they bloom, but this one is the only pink flowered variety I have ever seen. It was the only one at the nursery, and I have never seen one since.




This is a close up of the flowering racemes. I only wish I could give you some sense of the fragrance. It is really heavenly. It will be a sad thing to have to replace this tree. It is a bit like losing a friend.



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Apture