Tuesday, March 17, 2009

The Twilight Zone of an Artwork

I'm nearing the end of the dragonfly piece (well, not really, just the part where I begin to mentally let go, or "the twilight zone"), and so now I'm beginning to plot out possibilities for the next project. It will be started before I finish the current one, because that's just how I roll. I'll never have only one thing going at a time, whether in the garden, in the house, or in the studio. Does that make me just a little ADD? (Ok, so now we come to the audience participation segment of this post - in your best DeNiro voice, you say "....little bit........little bit") Alright, well I can cope with that. Most days.

I am always stopped short by images of macabre, mythical or fantastical things (see Edward Gorey is a god, or at least a demigod), but have never had the desire to represent them in my art. I always said I don't collect things because I don't want to dust them, but just I realized I have quite a collection of gargoyles. I love dragons and other mythical creatures, dark landscapes, and full moons. No wonder I love Halloween, huh? I just ran across Kraken Mosaics' Day of the Dead Groom and feel inspired to bring some of the dark side into my next piece. I know it's a wierd time of year to be thinking along those lines, but maybe I can have it finished for Halloween. Don't laugh - see What's taking you so long?

And now I have to go back and revise a statement. I never really thought about Halloween props being art, but they certainly can be. Submitted for your consideration, King Tut - a collaboration between myself and Susan McAmis for a Halloween party eons ago. At over 6 feet tall, he was a life sized construction of paper maiche with an armature of speaker boxes, a Hulk Hogan mask, and garden gloves. Painted using a desk calender purchased at the 1977 exhibit of Tutankhamun and the Golden Age of the Pharaohs at The Field Museum in Chicago as a reference, it was not too shabby for a party prop.


Bookmark and Share


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the link. I'm not sure I'd consider my Day of the Dead groom "the dark side". LOL. I love all the things you mentioned...dragons, Egypt etc. The essence of Halloween can be celebrated all year long withouut being creepy.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Apture