Friday, May 22, 2009

20 Hour Challenge Update

Although the challenge officially begins on Tuesday, I decided to keep track of what I could do for the last two days of this week, just for a benchmark. I had hoped to get a total of 4 hours in yesterday and today. I'm not sure why I thought that was a good idea. Yesterday afternoon was shot because we had tickets for a Red Sox game, and today was shot because we didn't get home until 4:30 this morning. (Long story, don't ask)

I have come to two realizations about this challenge:

1) By using Twitter and being restricted to 140 characters, there is no room for excuses. You just have to report what you did, maybe share a picture, and let it ride (unless you have a blog - then you can ramble on as long as you want about all the reasons why your intentions were good, but the cat coughed up a hairball, then the toilet overflowed, and THEN your best friend called and needed to meet for a drink to tell you she's getting divorced.....well, you get my drift.)

2) My hopes for massive production are a little overly optimistic. Because I haven't been rigid about scheduling studio time or setting production goals, I assumed that things were going to whiz right along when I added a little discipline to the mix. Um, well, I was wrong. When I finished the 2 1/2 hours that I was able to put in during these two days, I looked at what I had done and thought "crap. is that it?" Once again, I neglected to factor in the SLOW pace of mosaic making. And the section of the piece I'm working on has pieces that measure approximately 3/8" X 3/16", so, yeah. Overly optimistic.

However, when I finish the flower petals the pieces will be bigger, so that will move it along a bit. And for the next two weeks, I will be home alone to work on it as much as I want to, uninterrupted. My husband and two sons are traveling out west to visit a college that one of the boys is interested in. So if I can't get some structure and self-discipline out of the next two weeks, then I simply can't do it.
Check in next week, same bat time, same bat channel.....



Bookmark and Share


Add to Technorati Favorites

2 comments:

  1. Oh how I hear you! The weekend whizzed by with no time in the studio for me... just putting in the garden, finishing the greenhouse, weeding flower beds, people dropping in for a visit.... no excuses, starting today, right??? This is going to be MUCH harder than I anticipated. But the one thing that makes it easier is being accountable to you and the others who have joined in this challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so hope you're right about the accountability helping! I thought I was going to find this SO easy because the first two weeks, my husband and 2 boys are traveling out west - no distractions! But then I forgot that means I have to do the work of 2 people in the extensive gardens. Uh oh. Cross my fingers and give it my best effort!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Apture