Saturday, May 23, 2009

It's Not "Broken"!

Act I


Scene I


At Rise: (A peaceful stone terrace, surrounded by stone retaining walls and gardens, birdsong fills the air. Enter my husband, carrying a sapling he has cut down, perhaps 15-20 feet long, balanced like a teeter totter over his shoulder. Do we have The Three Stooges in mind? Good...)

ME: Where are you going with that?

HUSBAND: Over there (points to the miter saw by the back door).

ME: Ok........(*gasps* as back end of sapling catches an aging patio table and topples it, breaking the tile on top into several pieces)

Now at this point, anyone but a mosaic artist might be annoyed. In fact, I think my husband expected me to be annoyed. When he heard the breaking noise, he looked like a racoon caught rifling through the garbage. Apologies were profuse, but they were unneccesary! Broken tile! Are you kidding me? It's what I live for!

The table had been built out of 2 X 4s with a porcelain tile set into the top. It had survived the New Hampshire climate for at least 5 years. The legs were wobbly and we had even talked recently about the need to replace it. And the tile had been used as a "stop gap measure" (although nothing in this household is ever really a stop gap measure - once put into use it will perish there before it is replaced).

So now, off to build a new table base (maybe a slightly sturdier one is in order), and scramble those pieces up with some broken slate, or possibly some left over Talavera tile and see what evolves!

Exit, stage left!



Bookmark and Share


Add to Technorati Favorites

3 comments:

  1. HA HA HA HA! I thoroughly enjoyed the 1st part of this play - can hardly wait to view the sequel! Gave me a great laugh to begin my day! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Living with my husband means starting every day with a good laugh. He's an awful lot of fun (even if he does break a lot of stuff).

    ReplyDelete
  3. You tell a great story! And of course, broken tile? Where can I use it? :-)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Apture