Tuesday, August 25, 2009

I Dreamt of You on Tuesday

100_2779

I’m finally finished with this oil pastel painting. I Dreamt of You on Tuesday is 12” X 9” on canvas board. I have had it sitting on an easel in my studio since early July…staring at me, reproaching me, mocking me. Yesterday I said “Enough! I don’t want to look at you in this state any more” and finished it. Issue number 1 was that I had the perspective wrong on the steps in the foreground. I might still not have it perfect, but it’s much better. Issues number 2, 3, 4…..well, let’s just say there’s not much left untouched. I have to say I’m much happier with it. I had debated whether to add the figure in the background or not. I wanted it there as it was in the dream, but I had no confidence that I would be happy with it. Nothing ventured, nothing gained, right? I’m happier with it than I could have expected! All in all, I’m relatively pleased with my first oil pastel. And possibly my last. I will give them the benefit of the doubt and assume that the greater part of the problem I had with them could be eliminated by investing in quality supplies. I was using low-end student grade pastels, and layering color was extremely difficult. It was very hard to not scrape off the lower layer in the process – how frustrating! Anyway, they’re going back in the goody closet where they came from – in the darkest back corner!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Apture