Monday, October 5, 2009

Happy feet!

I mentioned last week that I would spend the weekend at the Art Walk in Nashua, NH this past weekend. The event was to run Saturday 12 – 6 and Sunday 12 – 4. As any of you dear readers who are local already know, Saturday was a wash out. There were very brief periods when the rain stopped, and less brief periods when we felt like we were standing under a waterfall. I was there with my mosaic art display in conjunction with ArtSpider, and we were set up in a gazebo. Since I had expected rain, I only took mosaics that were suitable for outdoors, but the damp chill was pervasive, and I ended up with a bad case of the cranks by the time the day ended. People occasionally wandered in to visit our little hole in the rain (which by the way, was a little bit more off the beaten path than was desirable), but it seemed they had a case of the cranks as well. But Sunday…….

Sunday was a picture perfect fall day! Fluffy white clouds skittered across clear skies, the air was cool but not chilly. The colors of the leaves were almost neon against the bright blue of the sky. And people managed to find our little out of the way corner with smiles on their faces. In fact, sometimes their joy was palpable….

Dr. Gilberto Garcia appeared at my mosaic display out of nowhere and instantly became the center of attention in the area. A colorful man in his South American style vest and tweed hat with ribbon, he started a conversation as if we were long lost friends. I learned that he was a retired M.D. who was currently writing 3 books: one in French, one in Russian, and one in Latin. Oh, but there were the 3 previous books he had written, two in Chinese (different dialects) and one in Greek. He was, he said, in command of 9 different languages. He told me that besides writing books, his mission in life as a retiree was to support artists, who after all, need to eat! He said he had purchased a painting from an artist at another venue for $1,000 (on a payment plan) and would next purchase a painting from the artist in the adjacent building (because he had already promised her that he would). And would I be interested in making a mosaic especially for him sometime in November or December? He would really love a mosaic of an iguana. Then he produced a drawing of an iguana from his jacket pocket done on black cardstock in colored pencil. The colored pencils, by the way, he carried with him. Dr. Garcia then told me why he was so interested in iguanas.

“When I was a boy growing up in Columbia, I taught myself to hunt the iguana. I would capture the iguana, and take a razor blade to cut them open and remove the eggs. Then I would stitch them back up and eat the eggs. They have no blood, did you know that? That was my first training to be a doctor!”

Yeah, I couldn’t make this up. And just when I was beginning to wonder if he had misplaced his marbles he told me that he was also a dancer, and then live music from Emerald Strings started up again. Well, you be the judge…..

Thanks to Larry Graykin of ArtSpider for providing the video!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Apture