Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Now what do I do for Art Every Day?

I haven’t posted any pics for a couple of days, but that’s not becuase I haven’t been working on this! It’s only because I worked on it until I couldn’t see straight to type. Now I’m fighting the urge to take a nap. I have been so high strung over my deadlines on finishing this piece, that I could just collapse in a heap. As of about an hour ago, the piece was finished, photographed and submitted. Ahhhhh……

Petropoulos.OakandAcanthus Petropoulos.oakdetail2
detail of upper right
Petropoulos.oakdetail1
detail of lower left
100_3116
detail of ball chain

The ball chain is the stuff you buy at the hardward store to replace the pull chain on your ceiling fan. I don’t know why I think that’s so cool – I guess because it’s so pedestrian an item, and a marble mosaic makes me think of Roman baths or patrician homes in Pompeii.

Honestly? I liked it better before I grouted it. The white veins in the black marble seemed really interesting before being grouted. Now it looks to me like I dribbled the lighter colored grout in the middle of the black. Bummer. But this being the first piece I’ve done in marble, I learned a lot from it. I really love working with it. I love the feel of it, and because I used the thin tiles available from Mosaic Rocks, it cuts well (although the green could be a little unpredictable). God forbid you try to cut the thicker stuff (some of which I got from Mosaic Art Supply) without a hammer and hardie at your disposal! Oy….

6 comments:

  1. I think your mosaic is stunning! And I like the addition of the chain. I tried a little bit of mosaic, only enough to know that it's not my thing. But I really admire someone else's work well done, like yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The detail in this piece is amazing! I am so proud of you for persevering and finishing in the timeline! Yeah you! Now go have a celebratory day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks to everyone for your support and kind words over the last few days! I've had a little trouble keeping up with the comments here because of rushing to finish this, but now I can slow down just a bit. And Joanne, as far as celebrating today, does cleaning a badly neglected house count? I doubt it...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nope - cleaning doesn't count, but the glass of wine (or whine!) afterward does!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Joanne - I can proudly say I had both the wine and whine - all bases covered!!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Apture