Friday, January 22, 2010

Jelly donuts and other delights

Fun fun fun! I have always loved learning new things, and when your instructor makes you laugh out loud, it’s kinda like jelly donuts – yummy donuts, yes, but jelly too!!! Whoo hoo!

Last post I mentioned the polymer clay tiles I had made that look like tooled leather. See them here. This is a first minor step toward getting a little more creative with the polymer clay. I have used it before when I wanted a color for my mosaic that I just couldn’t find in glass. Kinda cheating, yeah? I don’t care :) But all I had done was to roll it out and cut it into tile size bits. I know that polymer clay is amazing and versatile, and I wanted a piece of that! Don’t believe me? Take a look at this: http://www.scmosaics.com/pc_arcetri.html This link takes you to Susan Crocenzi’s website. This is just one work (maybe my favorite, I don’t know, so hard to choose!), but browse around while you’re there. She is AMAZING at blending polymer clay which has been dressed up in it’s Sunday best with other materials and creating captivating and truly original works of art. I really love her stuff! Her tempered glass work is stunning too, but that’s a discussion for another day.

So… not too long ago I bought a book on polymer clay called Polymer Clay and Mixed Media, together at last by Christi Friesen. Although the book is targeted toward sculpture and jewelry making, it has everything I wanted to know in it ~~ what are the working differences between different brands of clay, baking dos and don’ts, fancifying the finished product, etc. And it’s fun to read because Christi has a great sense of humor. As an example – here’s her ‘About the Author’ blurb:

Christi Friesen was born at a very young age, kidnapped, and raised by lemmings. She escaped to California, where she got married, had various wonderful kids, and amassed credit card bills. She is currently considering having a midlife crisis, unless there’s something good on television.

If you think you’d like to have a copy of this book, I’d love it if you’d use the link below to shop with Amazon (so they will throw a few pennies in my cup).

Next post: The reveal of the chosen background tiles for Poppies and Willow :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Apture