Wednesday, March 3, 2010

How ya doin’? Where ya been?

Next on tap is the Diptych Project – a collaborative effort between Mosaics New England and New England Wax that I mentioned in the last post. However, I’m waiting for delivery of the panels on which we are supposed to work – delivery expected Friday. So…….I’m trying to make hay while the sun shines. I hope to produce several smaller works before the June show in Portsmouth, NH. The problem is that small works are very difficult for me to design in mosaic, primarily because I lean toward representational work, and find the shading so hard in small works without getting into infinitesimally small tess. Alternative? Get better at abstracts. I love abstracts, but unless you’ve tried them, it’s hard to understand how difficult it can be to design something aesthetically pleasing. The only success I felt that I have had so far is the transparent smalti piece on mirror here. So anyway, I’m working on a new abstract at 8 X 10. I was going to share a tiled steps 008picture with you, but it’s just not much to look at yet. It will have a fair amount of tempered glass over gold and copper iridescent paint, and many shades of blue. So instead……………how about a pic of some amazing mosaic steps in San Fransisco? And to see more about this community mosaic project, click here.
And because linear thinking is anathema to me, let’s talk about the diptych again! I decided to straddle the line between representational and abstract with a somewhat impressionistic design. I took my inspiration from a Tiffany stained glass window. As soon as I get started on it, I’ll share pics on that.
So what are you up to these days? Folks have been pretty quiet – I can only assume that means you’re all hard at work on your own projects, whatever they may be. Would love it if you would share some links and let us know what you’re doing.

2 comments:

  1. I haven't heard that term "making hay while the sun shines" in a looonnnggg time - but it still makes sense to me, living in prairie country! Hope your panels have arrived by now... This picture of the stairway is incredible! Where is this - and were you involved in creating this in any way? it is indeed beautiful! Have a great weekend. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I could take some credit for that gorgeous staircase, but alas, I only just discovered that picture online recently. It's in San Fransisco and was a community project. Pretty cool, huh?

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Apture