Thursday, April 29, 2010

Ode on a Dogwood

I love dogwoods. Dogwood trees are something you really don’t see in New Hampshire. I don’t know if maybe they don’t like the acidic soil, or if they break too easily under the snow loads…..I don’t really know why. But I miss them terribly. If tulips and daffodils are the Vaudeville show of spring, dogwoods are the opera. The pure colors and velvety petals are the embodiment of elegance. If you ever have an opportunity to visit Paduch, Kentucky during the dogwood festival in April – GO. It will be one of the highlights of your life.

So now I wonder if I can do them justice, after such acclaim! Probably not, but that’s my next goal. I mentioned the next mosaic in the post about erasing pencil from primed MDF. Here I’m just beginning to work with the glass:

004

In the center are some 4mm jade beads that are not glued down. I will be using 4mm jade beads, just not those jade beads. I ordered some in a lighter color, which more closely approximates the light green nubby centers. These are just in there for the purpose of this photo, to give an idea of what it will look like. Although, I think I have too many crammed in there. I’ll use fewer when I get the right color.

2 comments:

  1. I grew up with a dogwood in my front yard and now I am blessed with a neighbor who has one and there is one standing in the center of my flower garden that encircles it where I work (I grow bluebells underneath it)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah dogwoods and bluebells, what a classic combination! You are very lucky indeed!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Apture