Saturday, June 26, 2010

no art, just quantum physics…and grandmothers


I have always been fascinated with quantum theory and it’s implications for our own daily experiences.  I have no scientific background, so my understanding of it is at the concept level, rather than the mathematical.    Works by Stephen Hawking, Brian Greene and others discussed string theory (in several variations), branes and M theory, zero point field - each theory and variant attempting to describe the nature of the universe (and the possibility of parallel universes) in totality and falling short.  It’s almost like the “missing link” in human evolution.  There is compelling evidence that the “missing link” should exist, but no one can find it.  And after decades of searching, the one overarching theory that explains both quantum mechanics and physics at the macro level still eludes physicists.
While attending my grandmother who is now in hospice, I read a book called Biocentrism, How Life and Consciousness are the Keys to Understanding the True Nature of the Universe by Robert Lanza, M.D.  The premise is that a ‘unified theory of everything’ can’t be formulated until we are willing and able to find a way to factor in consciousness.  Consciousness has long been a quandary for biologists – they have an explanation for everything about human birth except how the consciousness “got in there”.  And consciousness is a quandary for physicists, because they can’t quite explain why it influences quantum experiments, only that it does.
So all this seems appropriate food for thought while attending my grandmother, whose consciousness comes and goes, flickering like a candle guttering in a drafty window.  In fact, this morning she asked me “Do you know where I’m supposed to go from here?”  It was one of the moments when she looked directly into my eyes, and I knew that she ‘saw’ me.  She was lucid and really wanted an answer.  I said “No, Granny.  I don’t know.  Maybe when you get there you can come back and tell me about it.”  She chuckled, and said wouldn’t that be wonderful?

2 comments:

  1. Lee Ann, reading this brought tears to my eyes, and it got me thinking. About, well, life..?
    I am so sorry to hear about your grandmother, but happy for you that you get to be with her now.
    You are a great writer in addition to your art, and I miss you!
    xoxo
    ~Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. The connection you have with your grandmother is certainly a special one, thank you for sharing your experience.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Apture