Thursday, August 12, 2010

Cut your losses.


It’s really hard to let go of an artwork that isn’t living up to it’s potential, isn’t it?  It’s sort of like your baby – yeah, it has flaws like everyone else, but you love it anyway.  And sometimes we have to remind ourselves that it’s not a baby, and take some harsh measures.  That might mean tossing the whole thing out and starting on something fresh, maybe reworking a section of it, or it might mean cutting your losses.  Literally.
The painting of the poppy that I started awhile back was doomed from the beginniPizzicatong.  I had trouble getting the background to cooperate.  If I hadn’t used staining colors I’d have been alright.  Maybe.  But there was no lifting to be done, and trying to cover it up was only muddying things.  So I cut it nearly in half.
Now I’m satisfied with it.  

5 comments:

  1. Drastic situations require drastic measures. Once I get done with my initial editing and deleting of images, if I end up investing time and effort and feeling with an image, I do form an attachment to it. If it's not working, I'll file it away and maybe come back to it in a few months and give it another loo. Sometimes a fresh eye with generate an epiphany, but more often than not, I just cut my losses and move on. No sense throwing good time after bad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly! "No sense throwing good time after bad." And now I have a mosaic that I think I will take out into the woods and leave it, and hope it doesn't follow me home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. have had too many folk really like pieces that didn't thrill me to throw anything away, well, almost anything

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I was in France recently, I spent lots of time in galleries looking at the "masters" like Monet and Bonnard. And, although this may sound weird, I was thrilled to see that they too made duds! It made me realise that not every work has to be brilliant - sometimes a piece set aside may spark an idea in another work.

    And good luck with your new gallery, Lee Ann.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Way back when I studied classical piano, and my hero was Vladimir Horowitz. His last public concert was televised live from Moscow (remarkable because that was late in the Cold War era). I was transfixed watching his amazing skill, and hearing his errors! That was such a revelation for me - even the great masters make mistakes! There's hope for all of us!

    And thanks for the good wishes :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Apture