Wednesday, October 20, 2010

In the midst of a creative logjam!

I’m SO not complaining! Please understand that my greatest fear is that one day I will wake up and have absolutely no idea what to do next. I think that having so many ideas wanting out all at once is a much better problem to have!
And the fun part is the sources of some of the inspirations. I’m a pretty visual person in general, but the latest idea wanting out was the result of an aroma. When I was in 6th grade, I had a ballpoint pen with perfumed ink. Now I know that perfumed ink is a classic tool in writing the billet doux, but when I was in 6th grade? Pfft!!! That perfume was solely for MY benefit! No wonder I didn’t have any friends – who wants to be associated with someone who sniffs her science tests?
Anyway, in 6th grade I also had……a pocket folder whose cover was a line drawing with a very 70s Mod, almost psychedelic, design. A waterfall, maybe a unicorn? (surely not!) It came with a set of markers so I could bring it to life. The perfumed ink of the ballpoint pen and the design on that folder are very closely related in my memory, so when I caught a whiff of that same aroma as the perfumed ink, I instantly wanted to create something based on the design of that folder! What triggered this? Lubriderm lotion. Seriously, I couldn’t make this stuff up! It smells just like that ballpoint pen.
Meantime, I have something that I really need to work on first. I have committed to donate a mosaic. Lin Schorr, goddess of the public mosaic project, is coordinating a mosaic auction to benefit Doctors Without Borders. It is to be a small piece (thank goodness!) and of course I haven’t started it yet. But today at least I decided on the design. Because the benefit is for Doctors Without Borders, it made sense to me that it be based on a picture from a country outside of the US. My daughter was in Zanzibar last April and took some of the most amazing pictures of sunsets on the water, I decided to combine two of them, abstract them a bit, and see what we get. Here are the two pics:
Z14 Z17
The sailboat picture was cropped and lightened a bit, and in the design I will crop the other as well. Next post, I’ll show you what I end up with.
Oh…..I almost forgot to mention that I have a design drawn out (very large) to start a mosaic based on this photo:

And another to do in smalti, also drawn out and ready to go, based on my dreams of water.

2 comments:

  1. LOVE the clouds in that sunset pic. You are certainly crazy to have so many things going on at once...are we related? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, well if I didn't have so much I'm trying to keep up with, what would I complain about? LOL

    My daughter came back from Zanzibar with tons of gorgeous pics - what a beautiful place! I'll have to go sometime.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Apture