Tuesday, October 5, 2010

This would probably be a better post if my head didn’t hurt so much. Maybe.

006
I have very nearly finished it, and only now am I facing the question “How the *#&$ am I going to get a decent photo of this to submit?” The iridized background glass is mottled, and shows up best in the upper right corner, but not at all in the lower right. I have a feeling that photographing this will be a full afternoon’s frustration when the time comes.
In the meantime, I decided to play with some pastels. I tried oil pastels once before, and was frustrated by them, but I guess I was marginally happy with the results. This time I used soft pastels, which I think were much more predictable. I like them, but I screwed up the painting when I sprayed it. I didn’t have the fixative made for the purpose, so I used hairspray. Yeah, I know, I know. It darkened an already somewhat dark picture. I thought it would dry lighter, but it really didn’t. Live and learn, I guess.
Next project – surviving the Riley Festival.

3 comments:

  1. What a great piece! It really does have the effect of a leaf floating on water.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much! I'm glad you were able to see that from the photo. I think in person the iridescent glass background makes an even more effective water impression.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, photographs are so "static", aren't they? I can imagine the changing colours of the iridescent glass resembling water.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Apture