Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Happy Christmas/Hannukah/Kwanza/Solstice/Festivus…..or whatever

Whatever you celebrate, I hope it’s wonderful.
A friend’s blog post made me recall a store clerk I encountered a couple of weeks ago. An older lady waited on me, pleasantly, promptly – all seemed right with the world. And suddenly, after she finished my transaction, she looked me in the eye and practically spat out “Merry Christmas”. Instead of “I hope you have a wonderful holiday filled with lots of joy”, it felt more like “I hope you trip on the curb leaving the store”. The only way I can explain it is that someone must have told her to wish the customers “Happy Holidays” instead of “Merry Christmas”, and she was staging her own personal rebellion against the ‘war on Christmas’.
I can’t really understand the whole fuss over what we say at this time of year. It’s what we mean that matters. And usually, I think we all mean “I want you to experience all that good things and warm fuzzies that this time of year has to offer”. And that’s what I wish for you, whatever your holiday persuasion. Have a Happy. See you next year.37676585_WTree

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Apture