Wednesday, April 6, 2011

I wonder how much gold leaf I have up my nose?


For the background on the dragonflies, I was planning to use some metallic paints and a bit of gold leaf and silver leaf under tempered glass. I tested the idea on a scrap piece of primed MDF and just didn’t like the paint.  So I changed my mind (who, moi?), and will use just the gold and silver leaf under the tempered glass. 
Have you ever worked with this stuff?  I should have taken a picture of the table covered in very tiny fluffy bits of gold and silver before cleaning it up.  It’s flighty enough when you’re trying to handle an entire sheet – it flaps and flops like a sheet in the wind.  But when you have to clean off the tiny bits that don’t stick to the board they seem to have a life of their own.  I suspect I inhaled a fair bit of the little buggers.
Here’s a look at what a mess it makes, and keep in mind that when I talk about the tiny bits, I mean the little things stuck to the side of the tiles that get brushed off, not the larger piece on the right:
goldleaf
And this one gives you an idea of what it looks like from a bit of a distance.
goldleaf2
I think I got about 1/3 of it done today, but I got a late start and began with the smallest sections under the dragonfly on the left.  Hopefully I can finish it tomorrow.
UPDATE:  I just coughed and a speck of gold leaf landed on my keyboard.  Fantastic.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Apture