Sunday, April 10, 2011

A ‘smashing’ good way to spend a Saturday…


The before, an 18” x 24” piece of tempered glass:
before
I bought a full piece rather than scavenging for tempered that was already broken.  Even though you can often get it for free, it’s likely to be broken into such small bits that it’s hard to use if you have a large area to cover.  And I don’t want to cover too much of the gold and silver leaf with grout, so I want some medium sized pieces.
And then the after:
after
Smacked with a hammer on the edge, it breaks beautifully all at once.  I think it’s so cool that you can tell from the break pattern exactly where I hit it.
Rather than trying to transport the whole thing (a piece that size on cardboard is likely to end up on the floor on the way),  I just took part of it on a separate piece of cardboard to the work table.
prep
My friend Janet Skinner stopped in and took some pictures of me working on placing the tempered glass:
014
010

5 comments:

  1. Looks lovely — so colorful and TG over gold and silver leaf is bound to be fabulous. How fun to start with a whole piece. Looking forward to seeing the finished work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That glass is so cool! Love your dragonfly too!
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks so lovely! Lovely Dragonfly, cant wait to see the end results.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your kind words, everyone. Hope to be done with it in about a week or so.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know how much you love smashing things. :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Apture