Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Do as I say, not as I do….


I am nothing if not a rule breaker. Rule flaunter, even. The key to doing this successfully is to: 1) understand the risks you take, and 2) be at peace with the potential consequences.
So here is today’s situation…I have an end table that I picked up at a garage sale a couple of years ago.  I didn’t like it, but I needed another one and it was solid wood and cheap.  I thought it might grow on me, but it never really did.  It’s just a bit too large for the space, and it has no shelves or drawers.
We have just moved into a new house and it has a wonderful deck, part of which is under a large overhang of the roof.  I have an old rocking chair that I have been intending to refurbish and set outside, and this end table would be a perfect accompaniment.  The chair is the one my grandmother used to rock me in when I was a baby (aw!!) so even though it was badly in need of a new paint job and had no seat, the sentimental value meant I would willingly put the work into it rather than find another.
001I chose a periwinkle blue for the chair, and as you can see I have started reweaving a seat for it.  I have done this on some old ladder back chairs from years ago using natural jute.  I loved the look, but they didn’t last as long as I would like.  So this time I’m using poly twine (also because it will stay outside). I will put an outdoor cushion on it too.
I decided that since the table will be under the large overhang and likely not get wet (it is also leeward – the rain generally comes from the other direction) I would paint it to match and mosaic the top. Yes, even though you should NEVER mosaic wood for use outdoors.  (As per the first paragraph: 1) I risk the wood swelling and popping off the tiles, and 2) I expect to get several years of use out of it first, and when it’s a goner I’ll accept that.)  006
I do want to point out that if I were making this table for sale I would ABSOLUTELY NOT use wood.
As for design, I’m using a rug I snagged at the Dollar Store as inspiration.  It looks very 70s to me.  I’ll probably keep the same color scheme as the rug.
005






And the drawing:

007









No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Apture