Monday, February 6, 2012

Reflections


What a marvelous weekend!  My husband and I drove to Charlotte, NC to visit Ciel Gallery and retrieve my mosaic September that was displayed in the most recent exhibit there.  I have had lots of lovely conversations with Pam Goode, one of the owners of the gallery over the last few years, but had yet to meet her in person.  She met us at the gallery and gave us a tour of the gorgeous art, the classroom and the adjacent artist’s studio.  It was just as wonderful as I expected it to be.
What I didn’t expect, though, was that Charlotte has a truly beautiful and modern downtown.  They have a light rail system that I think every large city deserves (indeed needs!).  There seems to be quite a lot of upscale living space integrated with the commercial interests of the city, and the architecture is amazingly cohesive – not only is there nothing that recalls the Sesame Street song “One of these things is not like the others” (well, except possibly the pink building) but they have rebuilt entire sections with a nod to history.   Although some of these buildings are brand spankin’ new, you could be led to believe they were beautifully done restorations.
Greg and I took a quick walking tour of the downtown area, and of course, visited the Niki de St. Phalle sculpture in front of the museum (it was too late in the day to visit the museum itself.)
325951_10150751409058056_778253055_12344427_982739120_o
I think the hundreds of dogs reflected in the sculpture were a little too much for Gracie!  Speaking of reflections:
324235_10150751423438056_778253055_12344455_1389368484_o
What a cool picture, huh?
We had dinner with Pam and her charming husband Vernon and truly had a blast.  Great food, great company – I can’t wait to go back!
In the meantime, I will be finishing the prep work on my new studio this week, and heading to Indiana to retrieve my glass and studio furniture this weekend.  Then I will have no excuses for not working!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Apture