Thursday, February 28, 2013

Time for a change?

I know I’m really poking along on this piece.  I am having trouble getting myself into the studio, for no good reason that I can discern.  Maybe I just need a break.  Sounds lame, considering how much I’ve been out of town since the first of November.  Anyway, I’m happy enough with it so far, I think.

feb_28

However, I may have to stop work on it and begin another.  Today I ran across a call to artists for an exhibit with the National Association of Women Artists (NAWA).  The title of the exhibit is “clothing optional”.  Since I don’t do figurative work, this seems like a strange exhibit to feel drawn to.  But my first thought when I read it was “She was just asking for it”. 

I have been increasingly alarmed over the Cro-Magnon rhetoric in the media over the last few years about women and their “place” in society, and what I consider the barbaric ways that social conservatives are trying to stuff women back into the box they came out of.  I consider all the comments concerning rape in the media over the last year or so a big part of this.  I’m not one to make social statements with my art, but on this one I feel compelled to try.  We’ll see what comes of it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Apture