Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Rut roh.

I’m in a rut again.
I do this every now and then – get stuck on a subject. I can’t explain it, and frankly, I don’t think I really learn much from it, which is too bad.
But I guess I’m stuck on dragonflies again.
Although, to be fair, what really prompted this piece is not hh-munrodragonflies per se, but a poem I adore, by a writer I adore – H. H. Munro. He was born in 1870, and his writing reminds me a bit of Oscar Wilde. The best part – his bizarre beginnings:
Hector Hugh Munro was born 18 December, 1870 in Akyab, Burma, son of Scotsman Charles Augustus Munro, an inspector-general in the Burma police and his mother, Mary Frances (née Mercer) who died in a tragic accident in England with a runaway cow in 1872.    (from onlineliterature.com)
Isn’t that delicious?
Anyway, the poem – Overheard on a Saltmarsh, is a favorite of mine for a couple of reasons. It describes a goblin begging a nymph to give him her beads. Reason #1 that I love it – it takes me back to childhood when my favorite poem was Nine Little Goblins by James Whitcomb Riley. Do click on the link and go read it, and understand that my love of all things bizarre and macabre goes back to my earliest days. Reason #2: the nymph say “No.” Plain and simple. And she means it! No whining or cringing from the goblin – just “No” in a “don’t be silly” kind of way. Here’s the poem and image that accompanied it when I first discovered it (h/t to Eve Lynch for that!):
2671350651_510db242e3_z
Now, when a dragonfly first emerges from the egg, it is called a nymph. So see? It’s not really so random after all!
The design – which includes a full moon and bare branched tree:
IMG_0241
And the “green glass beads on a silver ring”
IMG_0258
For the row of beads on the top of the upper wings I used nickel beading wire, ending in a curlicue at each end, since this isn’t really a “ring”.
295407_1914749591610_1328040072_31668739_4450639_n
That is silver leaf under the beads, which makes the transparent stained glass under them really shine in the picture above.





No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Apture