Monday, May 5, 2014

On second thought, I think I’ll have a nap.

napI’m not very good at setting goals, planning how to reach them, or following through. I usually fall down at stage one, because I can’t even figure out what it is I want.  If I get past that, I’ll probably throw my hands up in the air because I can’t figure out how to get there. And even if I do know what I want and how to achieve it, there’s a really good chance I’ll get worn out thinking about it, take a nap and forget what I was going to do.
Not too long ago I ran across a Google Hangout video of Jason Horejs (of Xanadu Gallery, Scottsdale, AZ) and Barney Davey (Internet art guru) talking about the business of art, and all the things that we artists are supposed to be doing, but of course, are not. And we will NEVER be successful without all these highly regimented plans and courses of action. Now I feel so inadequate.
Well, I don’t know about you, but I know a lot of artists. A number of them are what I would call successful. They’re all a lot like me. So I figure maybe if I relax about all this ‘business of art’ stuff and just give it a stab, it would be a good thing and not give me heartburn. Certainly can’t hurt.
In fact, in a moment of weakness I signed up for a free email course offered by Jason Horejs, even though I realized it was a marketing tool for his book. Again – can’t hurt, right? Every few days I get an email giving me some things to think about and suggestions for what to do. A lot of it I already know, and maybe even actually do. And as much as I hate artist’s statements, I will admit that after thinking about Jason’s suggestions, I came up with one that rings true for me.
But blimey! I can’t for the life of me write an artist bio! I’ve written about 14 of them and trashed them all. I can’t decide what to do about this. Jason thinks they should be 3 to 5 pages long, and that sounds ridiculous to me. Who cares enough to read all that? But when I try to make it short and sweet, I have to leave out so much that I think has contributed to making me an artist … but then I think “who cares anyway?” … but then if I don’t do this I’m not giving it a good effort … but then why waste all this time if no one will read it … but …
And now I have heartburn. On second thought, I think I’ll have a nap.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Apture